Sunday, January 16, 2005

Re-thinking Political Blogs

So nearly a week has passed since I wrote that last post about the political blogs I've been reading. I've been thinking about it and I think I was a little to hard on the liberal blogs. I suppose the other blogs I read take a lot for granted with their readership too. The libertarian blog I read (http://www.qando.net/) pretty much takes for granted that a free market system is the best way to go. I happen to agree with that, so it's not surprising that I don't find that as annoying as when the left wingers pretend that the government should be solving all of our problems.

There really is a whole lot of cheerleading going on from both sides, which is something I've really grown to detest but that is for another time.

One thing that is hard to remember is that people on the other side really do think that their way of thinking is the best for society. They are still people.

Recently I read this quote in Michelle Malkin's blog. It is from a wonderful column by Thomas Sowell.

"Too many people today act as if no one can honestly disagree with them. If you have a difference of opinion with them, you are considered to be not merely in error but in sin."

It really has me thinking about how a lot of people I know base their opinions of people on their political beliefs. Particularily, we make judgements about public figures based on this. I like to think of myself as the good guy and the opposite side as the bad guys, when we're just people with differing opinions on topics that we feel strongly about.

I mean the people at Daily Kos and Eschaton aren't all bad. I apparently have things in common with these stars of the liberal blogosphere. I use Firefox as a browser and so does DavidNYC at dailykos. And Atrios has cats. Of course they are much better writers than I and believe that it is the government who should control my money, so there are differences.

mwz

No comments: