Sunday, January 30, 2005

Like children

Okay, so I wanted to get these thoughts out before the Iraqi election unfolds. I really hope that it goes well there.

But that isn't wasn't what I want to write about. I've been reading DailyKos and I have been struck by how they like to throw out the news that people died in Iraq (examples: here, here and here). Every time there is an attack or an accident they use it to say "See we told you so".

Maybe they are sincerely trying to make sure that we know what the cost of the war really is. But it really comes off like they are little children saying "Ha. Ha. We told you it wouldn't work" or like they are a characature of an old woman who isn't happy until she can complain about something. I mean real people are dieing and they get to throw their hands in the air and say "I knew this would happen if I wasn't running things. Hurumph". Actually, they get to revel in the statistics as in this quote, "The situation is untenable. 1,578 dead. $300 billion in treasure. Another two hellish years for our troops." Maybe they really care about about the troops or maybe they just hope to score political points.

DailyKos has also been quite active in declaring the Iraqi elections to be doomed. They like to point to sources that will say that people will not be participating in the election (examples: here and here). Of course they ignore any sources that would speak the contrary (I'm to lazy to find sources that would say that there will be high voter turn out, maybe they are too). We'll find out what happened when we wake up in the morning.

Part of it is that it's just iritating that they keep neigh saying. They might (rightly) say that someone needs to remind us that everything isn't okee-dokee. Fair enough. But now that I've written about it, it won't bug me so much. When they say "X people were killed trying to vote" , I can just know inside that I was right about them.

mwz

UPDATE:
Aparently, I'm not alone in these thoughts. A post today (Jan 30) on DailyKos says this "I have been accused of gloating by people right HERE because of my focus on the continuing violence."

Michelle Malkin points out "With the exception of Sullivan, the top bloggers on the left side of the blogosphere have decided to mark this historic day by hiding under their bedcovers."

No comments: