Monday, July 25, 2005

Why I Blog

So CTG over at Auxiliary Clinton (currently dead link) has deleted her blog again. This got me thinking about why I blog. So I thought I would do a little naval gazing and post about it.

When I started this, I just wanted to place to vent my (mostly political) thoughts and maybe coalesce some of my opinions into a coherent argument. Meaning I have a huge head and wanted people to know what I'm thinking about... because it's really important... or something.

But slowly I started writing about my daughter. At first, I just wanted to talk about her. Then, I decided that blogging about her was better than writing in her baby book. But now I've started feeling like most people don't care about my political views as much and are probably more interested in Frances.

So this blog has slowly turned into the Frances blog. I'm still going to write political stuff when the mood strikes me but most of my posts will probably be about the family. But I could change my mind.

That said, in the comments section of my last post, CTG gave one of her reasons for deleting her blog. She said, "I like to not be bound to previous stated opinions". I can certainly understand that. Blogging can feel a lot like talking and it is pretty easy to just let something slip that you don't necessarily mean just to prove a point. But there is a permanent record for people to read through and play "gotcha".

So, let me just say that there may come a time when I contradict something that I've previously written. I may have changed my mind or not really thought something through. If that comes, please point it out. I will do my best to either explain my logic or fess up to the inconsistency.

Just for the record, I think that we are all hypocritical at some point or another. I know I am even though I try not to be. So, if you catch me being a hypocrite, I'm sorry.

mwz
220

2 comments:

J-Funk said...

The question is not "why do you blog?" but "why DON'T you blog?"

Gail said...

I appreciate your notice of my deleted blog.

btw- I would have started the blog up again last night, but we had kind of a busy evening which included waiting 3 hours at the doctor so my husband could be seen for his poisin ivy.

But anyway, I really hadn't put much thought into an explanation over my deleted blog when I commented the last time. So in thinking about it, here are more thoughts:
I try to write about what I feel, but it doesn't come out exactly right a lot of the time. And I'd rather just be able to express the thought again, fresh. Writing is sort of difficult, mwz, becuase you don't hear the tone of voice, expression, etc to let you know what someone means by what they have written. (factoid: 60% of communication is in body language, 30% is the tone of voice, 10% is in the actual words said) I want what I write to correctly express what I mean - it's pretty hard. But anyway, no biggie. Just don't want misinformation floating about.

When YOU started blogging I told you I thought you were a good writer. (political and family posts) I really enjoy reading your Frances posts. Making the blog about her is an awsome idea.