Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Slinky

After multiple years of marriage I’m still learning new things about Arial. I have recently found out that she is a genius at untangle a Slinky. She is masterful.

A couple weeks ago (on the same trip that took us to the old style playground), we bought Frances a Slinky. Technically, it’s a Slinky Jr because it is smaller and made of plastic. Frances is still to young to play with it like older people do but she still enjoys flailing it around. That, of course, leads to it getting tangled.

When I look at a tangled slinky, it makes my head spin. For some reason, I just can’t work out how it could possibly end up the way it is. I think it is the same mental block that keeps me from being good at a Rubix cube.

But Arial seems to understand the Slinky geometry in a way that I will never fully comprehend. Given a hopelessly tangled slinky and a few minutes, she will return an untangled slinky with only the damage that was done to it during the tangling.

She’s amazing.

mwz
218

2 comments:

Gail said...

Just got the e mail of new baby pictures. :) You are such a good daddy, so proud of Frances. We love getting the baby picture updates.

And what a good husband! Recognizing your wife's powers of slinky-untanglement.... She IS a master - you didn't need to tell us! - women recognize these abilities in eachother. But I AM relieved to know you are in good hands, and to know that there will be no unresolved slinkies at your casa.

J-Funk said...

Slink your mo-jo!

J-funk
1