Sunday, July 03, 2005

Famous People

I had a dream the other night. I was with some friends at the bar in a restaurant (this is just part of a larger dream with a lot more context but let's just keep it simple). Also sitting at the bar was John Stewart. That made me feel quite awkward.

I've liked John Stewart since the John Stewart Show on MTV. We still catch a lot of the Daily Show. So when I saw him, it felt the same as if I had seen a friend, there was that sense of recognition.

That is what made me feel awkward. I didn't really know him and he definitely didn't know me but it felt like I was ignoring a friend. That's a really weird situation. I don't think we are built for the one sided relationships that we have with people on TV and in movies. It's too easy to get attached to those people.

Once, (in real life) while on a business trip, I was in the security line at the airport and I saw the guy who plays Grissom on CSI. I'm pretty sure it was him (although, I'll never actually know). He saw me looking at him (I was probably staring because I was trying to figure out if it was him and because I'm a dork with no social skills). He gave me a look like "please don't make a scene". I smiled and looked away and didn't talk to him or stare anymore. It was just nice to see a familiar face while on the road.

In the dream I wound up say hello to John Stewart and feeling stupid. I'm glad it was a dream because it saved me the embarrassment.

No comments: