Sunday, February 13, 2005

Toilet

Just a quick note to let anyone who happens apon this blog that I fixed our toilet. It wasn't a little "replace some crap in the tank" job either (pun not indended but also not removed).

The problem was that our toilet was wobbly and you could smell sewer gas (well you couldn't but we could). I'm taking a plumbing class and they thought the problem was rotting wood underneat and suggested that I fix it.

So I removed the toilet and like any good home fix-it job, it immediately became more complicated. The problem wasn't that the wood that the flange was anchored to was rotten, it was that the floor was concrete and the flange wasn't anchored at all. The only thing holding it in place was a lead pipe that was fluted out. In otherwords the only thing holding the toilet down was a small ring of soft lead and the weight of the toilet.

So, to make a boring story short, after another visit with my plumbing class, I got me some masonry bits and concrete anchors and anchored the flange. I did it all by myself (with some moral support from Arial).

BTW, I think that my weight is variable based on how hydrated I am. It makes me think that I should go on the no-water diet. Unfortunately, I really like water... and my kidneys. So I guess I should continue my "lose fat" diet.

mwz
213

No comments: