Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Wal-Mart

I occationally like to take a look at the school newspaper from my college. It's the Daily Iowan. It is a pretty decent paper, especially if you want to keep up with what's going on in Iowa City. (I don't know why I'm interested, I just am.)

Today, I happened apon this letter to the editor. In it, a resident lets us know that it isn't too late to contact the city council and stop them from re-zoning land to allow Wal-Mart to build a super-duper store.

He says, "[W]e still must let them know that the majority of Iowa Citians do not want this abomination in our midst." Note that when I left when I was last in Iowa City, there were two Wal-Marts in the area, one of which is a super store. Wal-Mart's web page confirms that they are still there. It's not like Wal-Mart is breaking into a brand new market.

I'm pretty sure that the majority of people in Iowa City do, in fact, want "this abomination", otherwise Wal-Mart wouldn't be building it. Say what you will about that corporation but they are not stupid. I'm sure that thier research shows that this new store will be a success.

I think the situation really is that a small minority object to Wal-Mart's buisiness practices and want to impose their will on everyone. If a majority really don't want a new Wal-Mart, then they just won't shop there. They will "vote" with their money.

If this concerned resident was so sure that "the
majority of Iowa Citians do not want this abomination in our midst", then he would be happy to let the store open and then close. But I think he knows that it will be different.

mwz

Disclaimer: I don't shop much at Wal-Mart, not because of any principle but because I don't like the quality of their products and our closest store is dirty.

No comments: