Friday, June 03, 2005

Bloggity Blog Blog

Just about every blog I read has done a post about blogs and how they're so great. Generally, it's about how bloggers can challenge the MSM and hold them to higher standards and blah blah blah.

But I've realized a new "Great Thing About Blogs". As you can see by the side bar, a few of my friends have blogs. I really enjoy reading and commenting on their blogs because even though we are really far apart we can still interact.

I know that we could interact using email or the phone or whatever but for some reason blogging is a lot more like hanging out together. Someone just posts something they find interesting and we can discuss. The threads don't get very long but then there is always a new post to talk about it.

And that is where blogs beat email. Email correspondences tend to die out without someone tending them. If you don't have anything particular to say in response to something that can end the conversation.

But blogs are more ego driven. That's the real reason that I started this blog. I could have started a diary and gotten some of the same benifits but I like the idea that others might read it and say nice things.

Blogs are put a bit more urgency into it. I don't like to go a week without at least two posts because if I actually do get some consistent readers, I don't want to bore them away.

So, with blogs it's more like we are all just hanging out and when people want to say something, they just do. It's good to hear what far away friends are thinking about. It keeps them closer.

Plus, I'm pretty sure that we're all going to get rich with our blogging.

mwz

No comments: