Thursday, June 23, 2005

Two Irritations (1 of 2)

I read a few liberal blogs and there are a couple things that really bother me.

First, I'm really tired of the "chickenhawk" argument. I see it brought up all the time (although right now I can't find an example). The arguement goes that if you aren't willing to enlist and go to Iraq, then you are morally corrupt if you support the decision to go to war. It's such a stupid arguement but it's like their rallying cry.

I need food but I don't want to be a farmer. I need my sewage removed from my house but I don't want to work in a waste treatment plant. I (and my family) need to be kept safe but I don't want to be in the military. I fully support the idea of people growing food, sanatizing waste and waging war for me.

See, we have this neat little system set up where different people do different things to benifit the community. I do my job and it benifits people, in return I get "credits" that I can distribute to other people who benifit me. It's a lot like communism but with incentives. Some people (God bless them) benifit our society by fighting for us. That is their job and they are good at it. Much better than I.

Now, you can debate the virtues of this particular war (and you probably should) but to say that one position is invalid because the person presenting it doesn't meet certain qualifications is stupid.

mwz

No comments: