Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Flag Burning

I figured I weigh in on the subject of a constitutional amendment banning flag burning.

I think it's a bad idea because it becomes a crime of intent. Are you burning a flag to protest America or are you giving it a proper farewell? To make a law against burning cloth is silly, even if that cloth symbolizes the US. Would we make it illegal for someone to rip up a Denny's menu if they first said "This Denny's menu represents America and all the people who died defending it." Destroying symbols shouldn't be a crime. Rude, distasteful and moronic yes but a crime, no.

On the same token, I don't understand why Muslims are all pissed about the Koran being pissed on. (Did you see how I used the word "pissed" in two different ways? Now if only I could work in a drunk Brit...) That's pretty sad. My God can handle someone tinkling on His divine word, or more correctly, a book in which his word is written. He might not be terribly happy with the person doing the weeing but that's really between the pee pee man and God. As long as no one is trying to force me to disrespect God, I'm not going to get worked up over it. I figure God can handle the situation on his own.

While I'm on the subject, I don't think I could be a guard at Gitmo. They have to show deference to the koran. To me that is idol worship. I couldn't do it. I think I could pass out korans just as I could pass out any library book, but I wouldn't show it any special attention. It's a book. A book.

In summary, symbols are symbols not the real thing. Don't get them confused.

mwz
219

1 comment:

Gail said...

Nicely put. I thought the same thing when I heard about the Gitmo stuff. I couldn't finish reading the Time article on it, the stuff that went on there made me sick.

Time has a good article this week about Abe Lincoln. He's cool.