Thursday, June 23, 2005

Night Food

So, I'm trying to get back down to my fighting weight. I've blogged about this before but I lapsed. Basically, I'm on a diet. Not a fancy schmancy one, I'm just exercising and not eating as much. Pretty simple.

I've come to notice a flaw in our culture. It's more like a bug.

In the evenings, I watch tv (I was going to say "I some times watch tv" but I'm not going to be pretentious). I'm usually mildly hungry in the evenings because I no longer snack.

Now here is where the problem lies. Restaurants like to advertise on tv and when they do, they tend to show their food. They make it look as appatising as possible. And that makes me hungry.

I don't blame them, they want to get the word out about their business. But generally, by the time prime time rolls around, I've already had supper. I'm not going to go out and get another meal just because it looks really good. So from their perspective, it isn't really the best time to advertise. All it does is make me hungry.

In a perfect world, restaurants could advertise to me before I eat supper. Then they get the plug in while I might do something about it and I wouldn't have to be reminded of food every 5-15 minutes.

mwz
222

2 comments:

Gail said...

mzw, you silly man. You look great - just ask Ariel. The best way to diet is to forget that you (need?) to be on one, and then take on 5 new projects so you are too busy to eat. works for me.

J-Funk said...

Dr. Phil says some people take in 40% (??) of their calories during one hour of the day - often after dinner while they are watching tv (I heard this about a year ago so the number might not be totally right). He recommends that you figure out what hour that is and do something that makes eating impossible during that hour, like take a shower, make out with your wife, run nude through the neighborhood, etc. We eat dinner while we watch tv, then do something else afterwards, but I suppose that isn't very easy with a kid. Anyways, that's what I've heard, but ctg's advice is what works best for me. Then you don't have time to watch tv anyway.
- Doctor Pistachio