Friday, July 21, 2006

Mid-life Crisis

Not to long ago, I was playing a lot of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 for the PS2 (it's an old game but I hadn't played it in a while). Watching the bonus videos of the developers trying to skateboard made me want to do it.

When I was in Jr High, I skateboarded a bit. Mostly, I just went around in circles on our back patio but sometimes I would use it for transportation. The boards I had were skinny and small from the late seventies/ early eighties. Basically, that meant that I didn't bother to try to learn any tricks (not to mention, no one I knew skated).

Yesterday, I went to target and bought a cheap board. I want to spend as little money on this as possible because I'm to old to really get any good at it. But something just to mess around with seemed like a good idea.

So, now I'm trying to ollie. The internet is full of information about how to do one and I've read a lot about it. Unfortunately, that doesn't translate very well into real life.

I'm practicing in the grass because someone suggested that. After about 30 attempts, I've manage to get the back wheels off the ground twice, just barely. I'm hoping that more practice will lead me to getting multiple centimeters into the air.

I guess it doesn't help that I am actually sharing the board with Frances. I worked out that she can lay on her stomach and safely push herself around. She has stopped trying to stand on it because I make her hold my hand when she does that. I suppose she feels more in control this way.

Well, I'm probably too old to learn a new skill but it is pretty good exercise.

mwz

1 comment:

J-Funk said...

They just put in a new skateboard park in our neighborhood, which is really popular and it's fun to go watch but it also looks very hard to learn and very painful. I'm impressed at your new hobby.