Monday, August 01, 2005

Laundry Detergent

I believe the people who make my laundry detergent are a bunch of shysters.

We have liquid detergent. I don't know what brand (it is all the way in the basement and I'm not going down to check). Like most liquid detergents, the cap is also a measuring cup.

For a while, I assumed that you just fill up the cap and dump it in. I mean they make the thing, they should be able to make it the right size so I don't have to measure much.

But one time, I noticed three lines about a third from the top. I looked at the bottle and sure enough, these were the measurement markings. The top was for really large or dirty loads and was about a quarter from the top. That means that even if I was doing extra large loads (which is most of the time) I was still using a third more than I needed.

I think that the detergent company expected a lot of people not to pay attention to the faint lines on the cap. The cap didn't need to be this large, there is plenty of space for the spigot (I love the spigot design, BTW). This way, they can say that the bottle does X number of loads but really it does much less (unless you read the bottle). I mean, does anyone actually count how many loads of laundry they get from a bottle of detergent.

Just something to watch out for, I guess.

mwz
217

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

isn't that like blaming mcdonald's for making people fat?

but you do bring up a good observation, especially for people who don't know anything about liquid detergent.

Anonymous said...

oops... in case i wasn't clear, why blame others for your ignorance?

mwz said...

I don't blame them for my ignorance. I blame them for using my ignorance to trick me.

Besides, I'm not going to do anything about it. There will be no lawsuits or congressional hearings. I just want to shake my fist and whine a little.

Wait... Are you a laundry detergent operative trying to keep people from exposing the truth about the bottle caps? ;)

Gail said...

mwz,
I am very impressed. People we don't know are reading your blog and commenting. Maybe your blog will be a "C" lister soon..

About the detergent, that doesn't seem to be much of a problem with Tide. I like the mountain breeze tide because it smells good.

Derek said...

F laundry detergent. I just bath, with all of my clothes on, in one of our 10,000 lakes. Freak yeah!

Anonymous said...

oh no, you've just blown my cover... abort, abort mission! back to tide headquarters.