Monday, June 07, 2010

Mildly Interesting Thing We're Doing

The kid's and I are signed up for a triathlon this summer. We all need to train for this but for different reasons. I'm out of shape, Francis is afraid of biking quickly and Johann likes to ride his bike fast (okay, he doesn't need to train but he likes to).

We have a park near us that has a bike/running path in a half mile loop. We've started going down with their bikes. I run and the kids bike. Frances and I bike/run together and Johann bikes ahead (until I holler at him to wait for us).

Arial has been going down and waiting at the playground. After a couple laps the kids can stop and play at the playground while I continue.

The first day was tough because Frances was going significantly slower than Johann and she was terrified to go any faster. In fact, she bailed on a turn that she could easily have made if she wasn't scared. To her credit, she was speeding up by the last lap (even though I made her miserable by hollering "Pedal! Pedal!" more often than I should have). She has figured out how to take that turn like a champ.

We also went three laps, which was about a lap farther than we should have started with. Halfway through the third lap, Johann kept saying "I'm tired of pedaling".

Despite the first time problems, both of them ask to go again even after the third time.

We'll see how long their enthusiasm lasts.

mwz

No comments: