Wednesday, August 08, 2007

We're Sick

Our family has been run through a wringer with this last cold.

Johann started with a cough a month ago. Then, he and Frances got runny noses. Two weeks ago, I came down with runny nose, cough and just general tiredness. Arial was still healthy.

I thought I was getting better. We ran the Bix (7 miles). The cold reactivated. This time it added a soar throat and a bit of muffling in my ears.

When Johann had a really bad day on Sunday (he was really cranky) and I was having a hard time swallowing, we decided to go to the doctor. I hate going to the doctor for a cold but Arial convinced me that it could be strep and she was starting to come down with symptoms. So for the sake of the family, we went.

They told us that both Johann and I had ear infections. I didn't know that adults could get ear infections. But that was the cause of my hearing loss.

We got scripts for antibiotics which I feel a little guilty taking since we don't know if it's bacterial. But I've been knocked out by this thing for 2 weeks and I need to get better. So with a heavy heart, I started the treatment.

Two days after starting the treatment, I feel a lot better. Which makes me think that the antibiotics weren't needed (although there is something to be said for the placebo effect. I'm still going to finish the regimen because stopping early is a good way to develop drug resistant bacteria.

mwz

No comments: