Friday, June 22, 2007

Transition 1

Executive summary:
  • It is nice to see your family when you are racing.
  • A rotund woman beat me up the hill to the transition... badly.
  • Glasses are useful when looking for your bike.
  • Wet feet don't want socks.
  • I like to start paragraphs with the word "I".

Long Form:

When I came out of the water, I saw Arial and the kids. They were cheering for me. Well, Arial was cheering for me, Johann was looking at me and Frances was playing in the sand. I waved at them and they waved back.

Then I had to climb a hill between the beach and the transition. The chubby lady who came out of the water just ahead of me, zoomed up the hill. I felt like I was trudging but I forced myself up there. But in all fairness, I think I had been swimming for longer than her.

I took a couple steps in the wading pool to get the sand off of my feet. It felt like I was going to slip but I didn't.

Since I didn't have my glasses, I found my row by counting from the far end. When I got to the end without finding my stuff, I realized that I hadn't been able to see all of the rows and was one row off.

I found my bike and set myself to the task of putting socks on wet feet. It wasn't easy even after drying them with a towel. Putting on my shirt wasn't great either. I was still wet but I figured (correctly) that I would dry on the bike.

Apparently, by this point Arial and the kids had come to watch me in transition. They had plenty of time to walk up there during my long T1. I didn't see them but they were in the background of a picture Mg took.

There were people getting ready for the run but also people getting ready for the bike. I took comfort that I wasn't the only one there.

I almost forgot my shorts. That wouldn't have been that bad but I had my gels in the pockets. I had to put them on over my shoes.

I tucked a sweat rag into the waistband of my shorts, put on my helmet and unracked my bike.

I wheeled my bike past a couple people getting ready for the run and pushed out the gate.

And then the bike began.

mwz

No comments: