Thursday, June 28, 2007

Post-Race

Executive summary:
  • Finishing a triathlon is good but it makes you wobbly.
  • Food is delicious after a race.
  • Kids like drinking from bottle water bottles.
  • Kids also don't like to be taken away from sand and their impromptu friends.
  • Raffling off an ugly bike does not make us stay through the awards ceremony.
  • Having a stranger come up and ask if you did the triathlon is cool.
  • Triathlons are a lot of fun and I recommend them.

Long Form:

When I crossed the finish line, I was pleased. Although, I didn't feel the same sense of accomplishment that I did when I finished the Bix (I think it's because I still plan to do an Olympic distance and so this was just a stepping stone). I was certainly happy though, both to be done with it and to be able to call myself a triathlete.

They stopped me to take the timing chip off of my ankle. I could barely stand still, I was too wobbly. We were under a little canopy and I could reach the top supports, so I used one to keep my balance. Though, I was careful not to pull the whole thing done.

An aside about the timing chip because I really haven't mentioned it yet. The chip was attached to a Velcro strap. It was reasonably comfortable (for someone not used to anklets). When I put it on, it was well before the race and I just wanted to make sure I didn't lose it. So, I didn't really tighten it at all.

Unfortunately, I didn't remember to tighten it later. It was just too comfortable. When I began swimming, I remembered it because it felt like it was going to fall off my foot. Once I convinced myself that my foot was actually big enough to hold it on, I grumbled (internally) at the extra drag it was producing. But then, I started to struggle with the swim and it was forgotten.

I actually didn't have any problems with it the rest of the way. I don't even remember having to deal with it when putting on socks. The timing chip worked out for me.

Back to the main story. After they removed the timing chip from my leg, I was handed a "finishers" towel and a bottle of water. The towel was a little smaller than a hand towel and had the name of the tri with the word "Finisher" below. I guess I'm supposed to hang that up or something. Hmm... Actually, not that I think about it, that's not a bad idea. Just a couple nails and I could have myself a nice wall decoration...

I hobbled around the food shelter (I just grabbed some grapes that time) and found the family walking back from where I found them last. We talked a little and there were some congratulations. The kids found a weird sand pit whose real purpose I can't even begin to comprehend. They played in it with some other kids. I let them both drink from my water bottle. Johann really seemed to enjoy drinking from the bottle. We have some cute pictures of that. Then, Mrk and I went back to get food.
They had a nice array of fruit; bananas, sliced oranges and grapes as well as a variety of bagels. I grabbed some orange quarters and a bagel quarter. The bagel had some sort of sugar glaze. It was delicious. I wound up getting another later.

We walked around a bit more, my water was gone so we tried some of the "sports drink" that they had mixed up in coolers. I guess it was made from a powder whose company was a sponsor. It pretty much tasted like they ground up some Pez and diluted it in a lot of water. I was not impressed.

After discovering that there wasn't much else there other than food, we went back to the family. Mrk and Mg disappeared, I think Mrk wanted to shower off down by the beach. I wanted to tear get my transition stuff, so we pried the kids away from the sand (Frances particularly wanted to stay and play with another little girl).

Non-participants weren't allowed in the transition area so Arial and the kids waited outside. I packed up my stuff and wheeled my bike to the exit. They were checking body markings to make sure the number on the bike matched. My number was covered by my shirt sleeve and I had my arms full with the bike and my bag. So, I pulled up my sleeve with my teeth. The volunteer checking numbers said that was the first time he had seen someone do that. I thought that was strange.

Arial happened to spot Mg waiting for Mrk at a picnic table. We went over and sat with her. Actually, I stood most of the time. I'm not really sure why but it had something to do with the kids.

When Mrk came, we headed back to the car. When we got there, we heard the announcement that they were handing out raffle tickets. We didn't know how long they would be handing them out, so we hurried a little (after all there was a bike on the line). I got the bike strapped back on the back of the car and Arial put my bag into the car. And we went to get a raffle ticket.

It turns out we needn't have hurried. There was a line for the tickets and even after we got ours, it took a while before they started. While we were in line though, we saw the bike they were giving away. It was pretty much the ugliest, *new* bike I've seen.

For one, it wasn't a road bike (like you would need in a triathlon), so it wouldn't have replaced my old bike. I think it was made to dissuade people from going into the army. It was army green and had the army star on the chain guard. I think you could make a fine bike with army colors but this was not a fine bike. I can't really describe its ugliness other than to say that it was obvious that the bike shop wasn't able to sell this one, so they decided to give it away.

We didn't win anything but that was okay. Other than a couple gift cards, the prizes were a little weak. They gave away gift bags, and in them was a large container of the Pez-like drink powder and a bottle of gel (with a dispenser). Other than the novelty of having a bottle of gel, those gift bags were suited for someone more into it than I.

Another of the prizes was a pair of men's running shoes... size 9. They also had a women's pair. The guy who one the shoes was just ahead of us and he pointed out the obvious problem with "I don't wear size 9".

After the smaller prizes were given out, they started presenting the awards to the division winners. Since we didn't want to sit through that for the prospect of winning a bike we didn't want, we left.

We decided to go to Applebee's since I knew were one was. It was a fine meal. When we left, a guy in the parking lot asked me if I had done the tri. He had noticed the body markings. That was really cool to be noticed like that.

We parted ways with Mrk and Mg and spent the rest of the day with naps and lounging. All four of us were tired from getting up so early and having such an eventful morning.

In retrospect, I'm glad that we did the triathlon. I want to do another, longer (Olympic distance) tri later in the season. The whole thing was a lot of fun and I would recommend it.

mwz

No comments: