Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Run

Executive summary:
  • Running after biking after swimming sucks.
  • Especially, if you haven't really been training that hard on the run portion.
  • A mile is longer than you think. Three miles is triply longer than you think.
  • Strangers will lie to you by telling you that the finish is "not much further".
  • It is good to have family there when you are suffering.
  • I finished.

Long Form:

The run course was 5K, with the first 3/4 mile on park trails and the remainder on road. There was a section of about a mile after the trail that was an out and back. Then, there was about a mile and a half of road after passing the exit from the trails.

Mile 1:

When I ran across the timing pad and onto the grass I realized the folly of my mindset. I had been thinking that all I had to do was get to the run and I could just push myself through. What I didn't count on was that I would feel terrible during the whole run.

The first part of the run was through grass, running between a series of flags. That was kinda fun. I don't know why but it sorta felt like I was skiing a slalom course (even though the "gates" weren't staggered and I was running up hill).

I was also regretting that I had brought the sweat rag. It just felt like it was weighing me down.

Arial, Mg and the kids were waiting on that section of the course. It was nice to see them, especially so close (there was no barrier). I tossed them my sweat rag (and I was glad to get rid of it) and we said our hellos. They cheered me on and I disappeared down a woodland trail.

Running on the trail was rough. I had heard that the first mile of the run was the worst because your legs are used to the cycling motion. But the softer ground didn't help.

The trail had a number of small but mildly steep hills. One of them (which we were warned about in the race information) really seemed like it should have had stairs.

I was really plodding along with no real stride in my run. My legs were heavy and I was feeling pretty bad. But then I thought back to doing the Bix 7 (7 miles with horrible hills) years ago. I compared how I felt to how I felt with about 3 miles left in the Bix. I decided that the feeling was pretty similar and since I finished the Bix, I could finish this. That realization helped my mindset a quite a bit.

I was glad to get out to the road. The first stretch on the way to the turnaround, we had to run on the gravel next to the road while the returning people got to be on the concrete. I figured that at that point they had earned it. I was glad to get to the park road where we could get on it.

At the park entrance, was the first water station and the 1 mile mark. That made me sad that I had only run a mile.

Mile 2:

I had a couple sips of water at the first station. I passed up the offer of a wet sponge. I felt I was wet enough (although that was a little foolish).

During the second mile, people started passing me more regularly. I began recognizing the backs of people whom I had passed on the bike. This wasn't too surprising since the people on mountain bikes that I was passing looked like they were runners with the bike as an afterthought.

After I made it off the trail and could see the oncoming runners, I started looking for Mrk again (this time looking for a red shirt). When I got to the turnaround I realized that he must have passed the trail exit before I even came out. Mrk is speedy (at least compared to me).

At the turnaround, the volunteer at the flag was trying to encourage us. When I was going around him he yelled "There is cold water at the finish line. Go get it.". My first thought was that I didn't need to be reminded that I was running a water deficit. The second thing I thought was that there was cold water at the water station just down the road. I could just go there and get water. All in all, his attempt to encourage me failed.

Right after the water station (where I refused a sponge again), we were back on the highway. But this time we got to run on the concrete instead of the shoulder gravel. I felt like I had earned that.

Near the trail exit, I thought "They must not have put up a 2 mile marker. I'm probably about the 2 and a half mile mark." About 1/4 mile later I saw the 2 mile sign.

Around this time, I realized that I wasn't really in control of my race anymore. I could really only go the pace that I was going. I couldn't stop people from passing me or decide to pass anyone else. I was moving along at a constant pace and that was that.

Mile 3:

The last water station was at the 2 mile mark. I had a couple sips of water. I regretted that not much later. When I made the turn into the park and started to realize that I was still a good distance from the finish. I was starting to get thirsty and the day was heating up. I questioned my decision to not wear sun screen, particularly on my head. Basically, it was starting to suck.

Then, with about a quarter mile left, I saw Mrk coming back to see me. At that point, I wanted some real information about the remaining distance. I yelled up, "How much further, really?" and on queue a woman near Mrk yelled "You're almost there". That was useless information, being as people had been telling us that for the last mile. Mrk, however, understood what I meant and told me that the finish was a little after the bend up ahead.

Mrk ran with me for a bit. It was a nice way to get my mind of the discomfort. We chatted for a bit and got our pictures taken together by a race photographer (which is kinda neat to have and it makes it look like I was right up there with Mrk).

Up ahead I saw Arial, Mg and the kids. Seeing them was great. Especially, since at that point I began to believe that I was actually going to finish. I waved, they waved. There really isn't that much interaction but it is still wonderful to see them there.

I heard from Arial that Frances said "Daddy's running fast". That's nice to know that my daughter thinks I'm fast even though I was not actually running fast in comparison to other people in my age group.

When we had just passed the family, I asked Mrk if he minded if I finished on my own. I didn't want there to be any sort of confusion at the finish since he had already finished (I'm sure he would have bowed out before then anyways). Plus, I did kinda want to complete the tri on my own. I was a little worried that he would take offence but he seemed to understand.

By that point, I could see the finish. There was a husky woman ahead of me (a different one than the swim). I thought about trying to catch her but then I figured that she was about to finish the tri too and I didn't want to be a jerk that tried to whiz by her right before the finish line. I kept at my same pace. In retrospect I don't know if I would have been able to catch her even if I had tried. She must have picked up her speed because I stopped closing.

Of course then, about 30 yards from the finish, two guys zipped past me. I laughed a little at that.

As I entered the finish area, there was a lot of cheering. I thought that was impressive since I was no where near the beginning or even the middle of the finishers. They were announcing the names of people as they crossed the finish line. I didn't hear mine because the cheering was so loud. I think that was better.

Finally, I crossed the finish line and became a triathlete.

mwz

No comments: