Monday, February 12, 2007

I not dirty, I Clean.

In our kitchen we keep several containers for the kids to play with; egg cartons, empty syrup bottles and whip cream containers. Both kids can (and do) get them out of the lazy susan to play with.

Today, when we got home from church, the containers were strewn about on the floor. One of the two (probably Johann) had got them out earlier and we hadn't picked them up. After removing her coat, Frances said "It's messy" and proceeded to put the containers away. It was incredible. We are trying to figure out who she takes after since obviously, neither of us bothered to pick them up.

But Frances is a clean little girl (as clean as a little kid can be). For a very long time now, she has kept her toes clean of lint. I never really even thought of trying to remove the lint. Maybe that's why she does it herself but she just started doing it on her own. At first, she would only pick the lint out occationally, when she had an opportunity. Now, it is part of her nap/bedtime ritual. One day, I tried to tuck her in and she said "No, I have to clean my toes". Before her feet get covered, she must declare "all clean" and then I know that she is ready to have her feet covered.

Recently, she has started washing her hands by herself in the bathroom too. It started as her playing with the water in the bathroom sink but now after pretty much every meal, she goes in there and washes her hands. We don't ask her to, she just does it. She has even learned to use the soap dispencer. Surprisingly she doesn't play with the soap, she pumps out just enough and that is all she uses.

As a final note, if you ask her if she's poopy (meaning a poopy diaper), she'll say "I not dirty, I clean".

Frances is an interesting little girl.

mwz

4 comments:

J-Funk said...

D's sister has a kid that is like Frances - strangely into being clean. I remember her being intent on cleaning up all the wrapping paper after a present-opening frenzy at Christmas - what kid ignores her new presents to clean up wrapping paper?

Anyway I have to wonder if this gets carried on into adulthood - I'm going to be paying attention (fifteen years from now) to see.

Gail said...

If Frances is poopy will she tell you that she is, or does she always say, "I clean?"

mwz said...

Okay, you got me. It doesn't matter if she is poopy or not, she will still declare her cleanliness.

Although, if you know she is poopy, you can then ask if she is "pee-pee". She will respond with "I not poopy, I pee pee" and happily go with you to change her diaper.

Maybe she just doesn't like being called "poopy".

Gail said...

That's hilarious. I wouldn't admit to being poopy either.

How are you guys liking...... the city in which you live? (couldn't come up with good decoy name for a town) It must be nice to be in familiar surroundings.