Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Random critiques

I have two little things that I want to write about.

The first is Gilmore Girls. Gilmore Girls is one of the shows that we make sure that we catch every week. It is a really good show with good writing, blah blah. It's no Buffy but what can you do.

Anyway, I really like Gilmore Girls but occationally they throw in some really irritating little political lines. They don't advance the plot or add to the humor, they are just the writers trying to slip in a little soap box. There are only two that I can remember off the top of my head. The first was when Rory wasn't invited to a party that Seymore Hersh was at. This was about the time that all the blogs on the right were talking about how Hersh is a big hack. But Rory swooned at the thought of meeting him.

The second was last night when Lorily was complaining about her mother and said, "She's the Condoleeza Rice to my Barbara Boxer". It didn't really make much sense unless you believe that Ms. Rice is evil and Barbara Boxer isn't just a grandstander.

I watch fictional shows when I don't want to think about politics and spin. I can handle people on shows having opinions about issues like the death penalty or gun control or whatever. I can even stand some amount of preachiness. But when they start talking real world politics, it takes my mind out of the show and it takes some of the fun out of it.

The second little thing I wanted to mention was that tonight we went to TGIFridays. All three of us. It was the first time that we had all been to a restaurant together that wasn't on the side of an interstate.

Frances did very well in her high chair and many people complemented her on her cuteness. I figure that since they benifit from being allowed to see such a beautiful child, it is their duty to complement her. (I'm a little proud of her, can you tell?) Arial brought her supper with us and we took turns feeding Frances while we ate (Arial did most of it, but I helped too). It all worked out very well.

But what I really wanted to write about was the burger I had. We've gone to Fridays for many years (like 5 or something) and we've watched their menu change over that time. I was disappointed when they got rid of the day-of-the-week burgers. I usually had the Wednesday burger. It turns out that it was just a mushroom, onion and swiss, so I got over that.

But tonight I ordered the same burger that I always get (when I get a burger) and it was like 10 times better than it had been. I was a little intimidated at first because the patty was nearly an inch thick. I didn't know how I was going to get it into my mouth without making a mess.

But then I discovered the secret. They have new, magical buns that can hold a large sandwich together. It was amazing. I think it was a combination of the shape of the bun and it's integrity. It was sturdy enough to support the thing until the end. I'm used to the burger or at least some toppings slipping out the back (I'm not a very talented eater) but for my last bite, I had burger with a bit of toppings and bun on both sides. Incredible.

On a related note, somewhere around 3 months after I started trying to lose weight, I am 7 lbs heavier.

mwz
227

No comments: