Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Pope

I can't take it anymore. I have to get this out of my system before my brain explodes.

A new pope was chosen. Let me say now that I am not catholic (I'm Lutheran), so I don't care all that much about who the pope is. What is bugging me is the criticism of the new pope in the media (including left leaning blogs).

It's not so much the criticism, it's why they are criticizing him. Apparently, he is to... Oh, what's the word... Catholic. He has the audacity to actually believe the things that catholics believe.

I heard on the news that people were upset with him because he once wrote that the only way to heaven is through Jesus. I can't even put into words how stupid those people are. What do they think the point of Christianity is, a way to meet nice people to get together with on Sundays?

People are also unhappy that he believes that homosexuality is a sin. Silly him. I guess he doesn't watch much tv, otherwise he would know that he isn't supposed to think like that. He's living in the dark ages. He probably wants to keep that old "murder is wrong" thing on the books too. Oops, I wasn't going to write about abortion.

Here's the deal. If you think the catholic church is wrong for theological reasons, then your not a catholic. If you believe in Jesus, that makes you a protestant. Either way (protestant or no) it's none of your business what the pope says and thinks. He's leading a religion, God really shouldn't sway with public opinion.

Okay, this is the last little bit. I saw on Eschaton this little snippet from Michelangelo Signorile's Queer in America. It is about a speech that the author attended by Ratzinger (who is now the pope). In it he talks about how protestors erupted at the beginning of the speech and didn't let him talk. Here is an excerpt:

It was electrifying. Chills ran up and down my spine as I watched the protestors ad then looked back at Ratzinger. Soon, anger swelled up inside me: This man was the embodiment of all that had oppressed me, all the horrors I had suffered as a child. It was because of his bigotry that my family, my church -- everyone around me -- had alienated me, and it was because of his bigotry that I was called "faggot" in school. Because of his bigotry I was treated like garbage. He was responsible for the hell I'd endured. He and his kind were the people who forced me to live in shame, in the closet. I became livid...
So basically, Mich was teased growing up and he wants to take it out on a guy who had nothing to do with it. A guy who would probably not want any child to be teased for any reason. This man doesn't approve of his lifestyle, so it's his fault and he must be silenced.


And that makes me angry. Why is it that liberals can't stand for people with different opinions expressing them? Why don't they like free speech and open debate? Why is it that (generally speaking) they feel like they have to disrupt events held by people they disagree with? They had people disrupt the Republican National Convention. They hold protests to stop or at least be an annoyance to conservative speakers at college campuses. They hold protests to keep military recruiters from college career days.

Liberals can't allow opposing ideas to be spread because then they will have to defend their own.


[UPDATE]: I just took a quick look around the blogosphere and apparently, I'm not the only one with these thoughts. QandO, Powerline, Ace of Spades all have similar thoughts.
mwz
227

No comments: