Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Frances in Preschool

Frances started preschool this week. She is gong two days a week this year. It's kinda stressing me out.

I always had pretty bad anxiety going into a new school year (actually starting at the end of July leading up to the school year). So, I've been kinda dreading when my kids go because then I get to live that all again through them.

But it turns out that isn't what is bothering me. Frances is really excited about school, so that really takes most of the anxiety out of the equation.

What is getting to me is that now I am having to relinquish control over Frances' experiences. Arial and I aren't the only ones shaping her anymore.

This was driven home when on Tuesday when Frances told us about a mean girl at the gym's child care. I'm not sure what all she does but we were able to discern that she picks up Frances even when she doesn't want to be picked up. Frances also said that she was mean to Johann, too.

Frances says that all the kids at school are nice (and I believe that they have been up to this point) but they won't be forever. Even though I know that she has to learn to handle it on her own, I really wish I could shield her from all the mean kids that she is bound to encounter as she works her way through school.

We're now relegated to giving her advice. It's actually pretty hard.

mwz

No comments: