Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Wetsuit

The other day, I bought a wetsuit for the triathlon. It was on clearance. Apparently, people don't want one with grey accents. I on the other hand would look silly in any wetsuit, so it didn't matter what it looked like.

On the way home, we stopped by a beach (we wanted to let the kids play at a park but a beach works too). So I donned the wetsuit and gave it a try in the lake.

My first swim was horrible.

The water was cold (although the wetsuit really did help with that) and it felt like I couldn't breath. It felt like the wetsuit was making it harder for me to breath. For each breath, I had to push against the suit.

To make it worse, I tried to lay on my back to catch my breath and the wetsuit wouldn't let me easily bend to keep my head out of the water. It was like it was trying to drown me.

After talking to one of my brothers, I have concluded that it actually was trying to kill me. I can't blame it. It seems it would rather float in a lake on a dead body than spend most of the rest of its time in storage (only to occasionally be taken out for a race or a rare open water training session).

After I managed to get to shore (and spent a while huffing and puffing), I tried again. The second time it went a little better. I think the suit has decided to wait until race time, when I'm in the middle of a lake, to try again. I suspect that I'll be safe for a while.

Now if I could just get over my fear of deep water...

mwz

2 comments:

J-Funk said...

wow... anyone who owns a wetsuit is a hero to me. Esp a killer wetsuit with grey accents. way to overcome obstacles!

Mark F said...

Now that you mention it, my wetsuit tries to kill me as well. I sometimes find it holding a knife that went missing from the kitchen. It hasn't tried to drown me yet. It has tried to choke me though.