Saturday, October 28, 2006

Cards and Johann

The St. Louis Cardinals finally won a world series (after I started paying attention to baseball). The first year that I payed attention to baseball was 1987. My family was a Cardinal family and fortunately the local off network tv station carried most of the games that season. I watched a lot of them. Then when the Cards lost in 7 to the Twins, I was crushed.

But now that they have another title under their belt, I can feel a little better about that '87 series. Sure, we lost. Sure, I cried (literally). But we have finally won with me watching.

And Johann watching. Sorta.

In the evenings, I have been giving Ariel a break and holding Johann. He sleeps a good portion of the evening on my shoulder and I do my best to entertain him when he's awake. Therefor, I watched a lot of the playoffs with him right there. That was kinda nice.

Tonight, not only did the Cardinals win for the first time in forever, but Johann also did a couple interesting things.

I have a habit of drumming with my hands. Johann started to mimic me by slapping his hand down on mine. So I stopped drumming and started saying "Give me five". He would slap my hand several times. It was pretty neat. I don't think he understood that I was communicating instructions with my voice but I can pretend.

The other thing that he did was honk my nose. He reached up to my face and instead of grabbing my glasses (which is what I expected), he squeezed my nose. It took me a little bit to understand what he was doing but when I said "Beep" he laughed and squeezed my nose again. I think he has seen Frances honk my nose. He thought it was great fun.

Basically, it was an eventful night.

mwz

1 comment:

J-Funk said...

I'm glad to know someone who was cheering for the Cards. My dad, who lives right next to St. Louis, has loyalty in other places (he's a big fan of the Indians, actually, and my little brother is a big fan of the Seattle Mariners) although I'm sure he was still a little bit pleased with the Cards. We will probably always be Twins fans thanks to our six years in Twins country. It changes a girl.