Sunday, March 12, 2006

Frances and the Y

I've started taking Frances with me to the Y when I work out. They have a "child watch" program where they watch your kids while you work out. I can't take her with me all the time because most of my workouts are during times that it isn't offered.

She's gone with me three times now and she really seems to like going. They have toys (that are different from her own toys) and there are other kids and there is coloring. She doesn't want to leave when I get back. She likes seeing me but she wants me to stay and play (rather than take her home).

The worker ladies tell me that Frances is really good and also that she's very quiet. I'd believe that. She doesn't quite talk yet and she's not one to babble to herself.

When she colors, they give me the pictures after words (and I take them because I don't want to look like a jerk who doesn't want his daughters scribbles. They don't know that she has notebooks full of the same scribbles at home).

The last time, there were two pictures. I flipped over one of them and the back was blank. I told her that she could have just flipped it over and let her color on the back (thus saving a page). But she said, "She's so good at filling the page that I don't mind giving her a second". I guess other kids just scribble a bit and then want another piece of paper. But not Frances, she's good at filling the page (and it's true, she is).

mwz

No comments: