Friday, December 02, 2005

Triathlete?

So, my brothers have convinced me to train (and presumably do) a triathlon. At first I thought it was a crazy idea but now I've sort of gotten into it.

We got a YMCA membership and everything... okay, I don't have a bike... or a racing swim suit... or goggles... or a swim cap... or a bike helmet... or good running shoes... but I do have a membership at the Y.

This morning, I was up at 7 am to go swimming. It wasn't actually as bad as it sounded. (Since I work at home I usually get up around 8:30.) Tomorrow, I'll get up at 8 to run in the snow. That should be fun.

I'm thinking about going to a spin class next Wednesday (I'm sort of hoping J-Funk will post some notes on what a beginner might expect in a spin class (either in the comments or on her own blog).

If you are interested, you can follow our training at triathlblog.blogspot.com.

mwz
216

ps. I was surprised to learn just now that the Blogger.com spell checker doesn't know the word "blog" in it.
Odd.

2 comments:

J-Funk said...

What to expect/things to keep in mind during your first spin class:

- your butt will hurt (that goes away after the second class or so)
- you'll need lots of water (bring a water bottle)
- if you sweat a lot you'll need a towel, esp if it's in a room with no fans
- KEEP YOUR RESISTANCE on the LOW side for the first class, at least for the first 15 minutes, until you get used to what you can do, otherwise you'll burn yourself out right quick
- it requires virtually no coordination or rhythm, and nobody has any idea how hard you're working since they don't know what your tension is at, so it's a great way to get yourself back in shape
- you will most likely be a little sore, take at least a day off afterwards

D and I did the YWCA triathlon last year, it was super fun! Now that our knobby old mountain bikes have been stolen we may buy nicer, lighter road bikes and perhaps try an outdoor one someday. Keep in mind this: the cycle class is not quite like the stationary bike you will be riding in the triathlon. Taking cycle classes will help a lot, especially for just getting back into shape, but you need to train some on the stationary bikes (once a week for the month before the triathlon, plus maybe do one cycle class a week). Also, BIG hint: standing up on the stationary bikes saves loads of time, if you're in good enough shape for it.

Another triathlon hint: it helps to try doing two things in one day, to get your stamina built up. Our triathlon was short, so I only trained short distances (ex after warming up, I only ran about the distance we were running in the triathlon), but at least two times a week I would double up. That way you can take a day off every once in a while, too.

Last hint: TAKE IT EASY so you don't hurt yourself training. It doesn't matter at all what time you finish, because next year you're just going to try to beat that time anyway. But if you hurt yourself you won't finish.

Good luck! I'm super excited for you.

mwz said...

Wow J-Funk, that was way better than I had hoped for. Thanks for the advice.